Discord is quite a popular application, especially among gamers, to communicate online with other players via voice, text, and video. In addition, many people use Discord to make free voice and video calls to their friends, family, and colleagues.
One of the best features of Discord is to share a screen while having a voice chat with your friends. In addition, you can share games and other applications, like Google Chrome, PowerPoint, and more.
However, sometimes users encounter an issue where the Audio feature doesn’t work with Discord screen sharing. There can be several reasons behind the Discord screen share audio issues.
Lucky for you, this article discusses different reasons behind the Discord screen share problem and their possible solutions. Let’s get started!
How Discord Screen Share Audio Works?
First, let’s talk about how to share a screen using Discord with your audio. Of course, you already know that you need to make a Discord voice call to take to your friends.
Moreover, you can’t share audio during the process on the sharing screen. It’s because the Discord share screen doesn’t come with a built-in audio mechanism. As a result, you can only share a screen during a Discord audio call.
Meaning, you first need to turn off the share screen and enable sound mode from the application window. Next, press the “Share Now” button to share the screen.
Reasons Behind Discord Screen Share No Audio
Knowing the main reason behind the issue allows us to resolve it directly instead of using different hit-and-trial methods. That’s why let’s find out the reasons that disable the audio while you share your screen with friends on Discord.
An issue with the Audio Drivers
Discord is a sound-based app, which means it uses the audio drivers of your computer or laptop. Discord won’t be able to share your audio if the audio drivers become corrupted.
Audio Feature Not Working Properly
The Audio feature has recently been incorporated by Discord, so that feature is currently in its early stages. That’s why the feature may not be stable, causing issues with audio sharing.
Application May be Incompatible
It’s one of the most common problems that we encounter daily. If specific applications installed on our computer aren’t compatible with Discord, the in-built voice settings of Discord may get affected. The only solution is to find an alternative application to share a screen with audio on Discord.
Discord shares your entire computer screen with your friends remotely. It means you need to have administrative rights to perform this action. Once you have admin rights, you can resolve the issue right away.
If you make streaming videos for Youtube, unfortunately, Discord isn’t an ideal choice for you. As a result, you may encounter an audio problem while streaming videos and screen sharing using Discord. However, you can use some alternative application to resolve the no audio issue with Discord screen share.
Antivirus May Cause Problems
Sometimes, the Antivirus installed on your laptop may damage or corrupt the Discord files. You can turn off antivirus while sharing the screen with audio on Discord.
How to Resolve Discord Screen Share Audio Not Working?
We know all the possible causes that can lead to no audio issue with Discord screen sharing. So without further ado, let’s resolve the problem with the help of the following solutions:
A pro tip: You can save your time and energy if you implement these solutions in the same order as written.
Restart Your Computer
Always begin troubleshooting with simple steps. Sometimes, your running applications may affect Discord performance or cause any conflict. You should restart your computer and relaunch Discord. It’s better not to use multiple applications simultaneously with Discord.
Restarting your computer usually resolves the audio problem. However, if it doesn’t, please proceed to the following resolution step.
Discord Needs to be Updated
You should regularly install the Discord updates to fix different app bugs or errors. For example, you can face a no audio problem if you are using an out-of-date Discord app.
At this stage, you must be wondering how to update the Discord app. Don’t worry, and follow these steps to update Discord:
- Press Windows Logo and simultaneously press R to launch the “Run ” dialog window.
- Type %localappdata% and press the OK button.
- Navigate through the list of folders and select the Discord folder.
- Within this folder, you need to find Update.exe and double-click to run the update process.
- Once the process is complete, relaunch Discord and check if the problem persists.
Reset Voice Settings of Your Computer
You should check your computer’s audio settings to check if they are conferred correctly. It means you should select the correct recording input device. Or if your laptop allows Discord to access the microphone settings.
You can configure the microphone settings on your Windows computer using the following steps:
- Click Windows + S in the dialogue box to open “Microphone Privacy Settings.”
- You’ll be redirected to a window in which you can read about allowing access to the microphone on your device.
- You can swipe the toggle bar to switch on the microphone access if previously turned off.
Reset Voice Settings to Fix Discord Screen Share Audio Issue
You can adjust the Discord internal voice and audio settings to resolve the no audio problem while sharing the screen. Use the following steps to set the Discord voice settings to default to fix the Discord screen share issue:
- Open Discord on your laptop or computer.
- Click on the “Settings” icon, available on the bottom right corner of the main screen.
- Navigate to the “Voice and Video” option and press “Reset Voice Settings,” available at the bottom of the page.
- Press the Ok button to confirm the selection and share your screen with your friend to test the audio.
Audio Drivers Need an Update
If restarting the computer and updating the Discord app doesn’t work, it’s time to update the audio driver. Unfortunately, the audio drivers are likely missing, corrupted, or out-of-date. In either case, you need to download and install the latest audio driver.
How to Install Latest Audio Driver in Windows 10?
- In the windows search bar, type “Run.”
- You must enter devmgmt.msc in the Run panel and click OK.
- Here, a new “Device Manager” panel will open.
- Navigate to the “Audio inputs and outputs” option.
- Right-click on it and select “Uninstall device.”
- Next, go to actions and “Scan for hardware changes.”
This way, you can reinstall the latest audio drivers. However, you must again right-click on “Audio inputs and outputs” and select “Update driver’ to see if Windows has installed the latest audio drivers or not.
Alternatively, you can also download new drivers from your computer manufacturers’ websites.
If you don’t have time to go through the hassle of finding the desired drivers on the official website, you can download Driver Booster to fix the audio driver issues.
All you need to do is to install the Driver Booster and launch its main screen. Here, you can press the “Scan” button, allowing the tool to detect the problematic drivers automatically.
The tool will then display all the controllers that need an update. However, you need to update only “Sound, Video, and game controllers ‘ to fix the no audio issue on Discord screen share.
Remove Discord Temporary Files and Roaming Data
There can be two reasons for no audio with Discord screen sharing:
- Inappropriate account settings
- Temporary or roaming data
Lucky for you, you can fix both issues using the following methods:
- First, shut down the Discord app properly. Then, make sure the application isn’t running in the background.
- Press the Windows logo key and type %appdata%, and click Enter.
- Go to the Discord folder, right-click on it and choose delete.
- Re-open the Discord and test the audio.
Add the Program to Desired Program to Discord App
Usually, Discord automatically detects the program and application when you share its screen. Moreover, it picks up the audio on its own. However, you may need to add specific programs to the Discord application if you face a Discord screen share with no audio issue. All you need to do is to follow these steps:
- Open Discord and run the programs whose screen you want to share.
- Go to the Discord settings and right-click on it.
- Next, go to the “Game Activity” option.
- Right-click on the “Add it” option to see a drop-down menu.
- Here, you must select the programs whose screen you want to share using Discord.
- Next, select “Add Game.”
- Lastly, it would help if you made sure to enable the in-game overlay feature.
For instance, you need to add your games, Google Chrome, and other browsers to the Discord program list.
You also need to evaluate different scenarios to check if the audio issue is with a computer application or browser extension. For example, take a case where you encounter no audio issue when you share a screen on a particular browser such as Google Chrome while working fine on other programs. In this specific scenario, it’s the browser audio infrastructure that has an issue.
It’s Time to Reinstall Discord
If your friend doesn’t hear your voice while you share the screen on Discord even after doing all the above remedies, it implies one thing – a corrupted Discord file. The good news is that you can reinstall the latest version of Discord to solve the issue.
Reinstall Discord on Windows
- Click on the Windows logo key on your keyboard and type “Control Panel” in the search bar.
- Go to “Uninstall a Program” and search for Discord.
- Please right-click on the Discord program and install it.
If you have a Discord set up, you can install it from there; else, it’s better to install the latest Discord version from the official website.
Reinstall Discord on Mac
First, you must close the Discord properly by terminating all tits processes running in the background. Next, open the “Activity Monitor,” choose “Discord,” and press the “X” button, available on the top left corner.
Moreover, in Mac, you need to delete two more folders:
- ~/Library/Application Support/Discord
- /Library/Application Support/Discord
You can easily find these folders using the Mac Finder. Next, find Discord in your “Application folder’ and delete it. In the end, clean the Trash and reinstall the latest Discord version on your macOS.
Uninstall the Interfering Programs
Specific applications installed on your laptop or computer may interfere with Discord. In this case, you need to keep an eye on the recently installed third-party applications. If you suspect a particular application that may stop Discord from working, you must uninstall it to resolve the screen share no audio problem.
Stop NVIDIA Share
This problem usually occurs if you have a PC with NVIDIA hardware. Sometimes, NVIDIA Share can reduce your game performance and affect the Discord screen sharing functionality.
NVIDIA Share or Shadowplay is a feature that allows you to live stream and record gameplay.
It doesn’t necessarily mean that your computer with NVIDIA hardware has NVIDIA Share; however, you can always check the settings. Scroll down to the taskbar, where your laptop displays time and date, and select the NVIDIA settings. You can temporarily disable NVIDIA Share to fix no audio problem in Discord.
- Go to your computer’s Start menu and locate “GeForce Experience.”
- Next, go to the “Settings” option, available on the top right spot.
- Navigate to the “General” tab, where you can find the “Share” toggle bar.
- Lastly, turn the toggle bar to the left to disable the NVIDIA Share.
Discord is undoubtedly a powerful and dynamic tool that allows users to communicate with their friends and colleagues more effectively using voice, text, and audio.
Sound not working while you share your screen using Discord may be frustrating for you. However, it doesn’t mean you can’t fix the Discord screen share audio issue.
All the methods discussed in this article are pretty effective and will surely help you fix the no audio issue while using the screen sharing feature in Discord.